Wednesday, December 20, 2006

December 20 2006


A holiday bouquet for everyone! Update regarding the post November 28 Social Security - I guess Hell did freeze over, I just missed it. The Social Security office has sent a final payment to our account, and sent us a letter (about a week later) to say they were going to do this. And why should anyone care? First, it's a rare and happy moment to get real closure on any dealing with any bureaucracy. And second, more important to my vast and ever-expanding readership out there (almost up to double digits!), this proves that my original assumption that it was not legal for the government to just take whatever funds were left in someone's account, was true. Unfortunately we have had too many friends who have lost parents this year, and, as one might expect at such a sad and stressful time, the last thing a grieving child needs is to go head to head with a governmental agency. But I do encourage any of you out there who have the energy to pursue this matter to do so. We were told very clearly at the time of my mother-in-law's death, and subsequently, by more than one bureaucrat, that there were no benefits to surviving children - yet, lo and behold, it turns out that's not true. Apparently this is a very well-kept secret. At least no one I spoke to about it seemed to think otherwise.

2 comments:

DBGeorge said...

Hi LK,

This is George. Since the blog does not allow anonymous comments, people may need to have a blogger account of their own to log in, and hence you're not getting responses. I'm going to check the settings for my blogs and get back to you.

DBGeorge said...

Hi LK,

I checked the "settings" on my own blogs, and I let "anyone" comment. The other two choices are "registered user" and "member of the blog." I wouldn't use the latter, since you'd have to enter each valid member one-by-one. I think you may have defaulted to "registered user," since I just tried going to the blog directly as an outsider, but couldn't add a comment. Now I'm back as as registered blogger DBGeorge so I can write this. "Registered users" have to have a blog of their own or have to have a Google e-mail account. I think that's why you're not getting any responses. Try tweaking the settings to allow "anyone" in, and see what happens. Also, try sending comments to your e-mail address. It'll notify you immediately if someone comments, so you don't have to check your blog every day. Take care,

G.